Students planning to major in statistics should have a strong interest in mathematics and some interest in computing. The department currently offers:
- Data Science B.S. (Coming Fall 2020) – A combination of statistical methodology with computer science (programming, databases and algorithms). * Note than on the catalog some courses have no number but have now just received it. In addition, more electives are coming soon.
- MAD 2XXX Introduction to Computational Mathematics (Python) will be MAD 2502
- MAS 4XXX Linear Algebra for Data Science will be MAS 4115
- PHI 3XXX Ethics, Data, and Technology will be PHI 3681
- STA 3XXX Programming with Data will be STA 3100
- STA 4XXX Statistical Learning in R will be STA 4241
- STA 4XXX Statistical Computing in R will be STA 4273
- Statistics B.S. – Geared towards students planning to pursue graduate studies and hence is more rigorous in advanced mathematics.
- Statistics B.A. – Geared towards students pursuing a career in statistics and data analytics after graduation.
- Actuarial Science – Preparing students in the field of study relating to the quantification of risk using math, probability and statistics.
- Statistics – A useful (data analytic) complement to any major.
A student majoring in Data Science or Statistics can also work toward a minor in Actuarial Science. A double major in Mathematics and Statistics is another attractive option (see an advisor). All students who wish to major in statistics should consult a departmental adviser early in their program.
- To obtain forms for adding and/or changing major or minor please visit https://www.advising.ufl.edu/.
- It is always best to first create a tentative course schedule before starting the process.
- Minor forms are not signed by the department but by CLAS advising.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) credits exclusive to the chosen major are required. As such, students also majoring in Mathematics should not consider MAS 4115, STA 4321, STA 4322, STA 4210, COP 3530 as electives counting towards the mathematics program.
- A minimum of six (6) credits exclusive to the chosen minor are required.
For general advising needs that do pertain specifically to the statistics department, students are encouraged to contact their college’s advising center. For the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center visit https://www.advising.ufl.edu/.
For inquires pertaining specifically to the department please contact the advisors listed in the right menu.
Statistics Student Organization (Club)
The University of Florida’s Statistics Club is a student-run pre-professional organization dedicated to providing opportunities and education to anyone interested in the field of statistics.
Data Science and Informatics Student Organization
The Data Science and Informatics Student Organization at UF connects students across academic programs by initiating group learning through technical workshops, speaker sessions, discussion groups and other activities.
Demetris Athienitis, Ph.D.
Actuarial Science Advisor
116A Griffin-Floyd Hall